The recalled chest is unstable if it is not anchored to the wall, posing tip-over and entrapment hazards that may result in death or serious injuries to children. Additionally, KULLEN 3-drawer chests imported after August 12, 2019 do not comply with the performance requirements of the updated version of the U.S. consensus standard (ASTM 2057-19).
Call IKEA’s toll-free recall hotline at 888-966-4532 from 10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. ET or go online to www.IKEA-USA.com/secureit for more information on how to receive a refund or a free wall-anchoring repair kit.
This recall involves the KULLEN 3-drawer chest. The chest is 28 3/8 inches tall, sold in black-brown or birch colors, and weighing approximately 45 pounds. The article numbers for the KULLEN 3-drawer chest are 600-930-58 (birch), 501-637-54 (black-brown), and 803-221-34 (black-brown). A 5-digit supplier number, 4-digit date stamp, IKEA logo, country of origin and “KULLEN” are printed on the underside of the top panel or inside the side panel.
Consumers should immediately stop using the KULLEN 3-drawer chest if not properly anchored to the wall and place it into an area that children cannot access. Consumers should contact IKEA for either a full refund or a free wall-attachment (anchor) kit.
- For refund: IKEA will accept in-store returns or arrange for free pick up of the chests for a full refund.
- For wall-attachment (anchor) kit: Consumers can order a free wall-attachment (anchor) kit. Consumers can install the anchor themselves or IKEA will provide a one-time, free in-home installation service, upon request.
IKEA has received six reports of tip-over incidents involving KULLEN 3-drawer chests that were not anchored to the wall, including one report involving a minor cut and one report involving minor cuts and bruises.
IKEA Supply AG, of Switzerland
Note: Individual Commissioners may have statements related to this topic. Please visit www.cpsc.gov/commissioners to search for statements related to this or other topics.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risk of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product-related incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products has contributed to a decline in the rate of injuries associated with consumer products over the past 50 years.
Federal law prohibits any person from selling products subject to a Commission ordered recall or a voluntary recall undertaken in consultation with the CPSC.
- Visit CPSC.gov.
- Sign up to receive our e-mail alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram @USCPSC and Twitter @USCPSC.
- Report a dangerous product or product-related injury on www.SaferProducts.gov.
- Call CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772 (TTY 301-595-7054).
- Contact a media specialist.