FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Company Phone Number: (800) 935-5060
September 3, 1998
Release # 98-164
WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), PJ Toys, of New York, N.Y., is recalling about 8,300 units of a variety of children's furniture, sold at Target stores. Some of the paint on this furniture contains lead, which is toxic if ingested by children. High levels of lead in paint violate the Consumer Product Safety Act.
CPSC and PJ Toys are not aware of any illnesses or injuries involving this furniture. This recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of illness or injury.
The recalled furniture was decorated in either a circus or princess theme. Item numbers can be found on the original packaging. The circus-theme items include:
- Seal Wall Mirror, with purple seal with a yellow-framed mirror balanced on its nose (#097-02-0049)
- Circus Rover, a purple toy box/cart on yellow wheels with circus illustrations painted on the side (#097-02-0052)
- Circus Table and Chair Set, a yellow table with red legs with two yellow and red chairs (#097-02-0053)
- Clown Coat Hook, a wall coat rack with clown face and red hooks (#097-02-0057)
- Circus Wall Shelf, with a large, red and yellow clown face (#097-02-0056)
- Clown Stepping Stool, an aqua two-step stool with a clown face on the top step and arms and body painted on the sides (#097-02-0051)
- Clown Tot Stool, with a red top and yellow sides, and circus illustrations (#097-02-0090)
- Banana Coat Tree, with a yellow star at the top with monkey illustrations and banana-shaped coat hooks (#097-02-0054)
- Rocking Elephant, a red rocking elephant with a yellow seat and aqua rockers (#097-02-0055)
The princess theme furniture includes:
- Princess Step Stool, a two-step stool with a castle printed on both sides and a rose printed on the top step (#097-02-0058)
- Princess Rocker, a pink rocking chair with the word "PRINCESS" printed on the back (#097-02-0059)
- Crown Wall Hooks, a pink crown-shaped rack with red pegs for hanging coats or hats (#097-02-0061)
- Princess Table and Chair Set, with a table that has crowns printed in each corner on the top and two chairs with crowns on the chair backs (#097-02-0062)
- Crown Mirror, a pink, white and yellow-green rectangular mirror (#097-02-0063)
- Crown Wall Shelf, a white shelf with a pink crown painted on the back (#097-02-0065)
- Crown Tot Stool, a white stool with pink top and a crown printed on both ends (#097-02-0060)
- Crown Coat Tree, a pink coat tree with a crown on the top (#097-02-0064).
Target stores nationwide sold the recalled furniture from April 1998 through July 1998 for between about $15 and $80, depending on the item.
Consumers should take these items away from young children immediately and return them to any Target store for a refund. For more information, call PJ Toys at (800) 935-5060 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday, or write to PJ Toys, 230 5th Avenue, New York, NY 10001.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products has contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
For lifesaving information:
Please use the below phone number for all media requests.
Phone: (301) 504-7908
Spanish: (301) 504-7800