The recalled chests are unstable if they are not anchored to the wall, posing serious tip-over and entrapment hazards that can result in death or injuries to children.
South Shore toll-free at 855-215-4932 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or online at www.SouthShoreFurniture.com and click on “Recall Information” for more information.
This recall involves Libra style 3-drawer chests of drawers sold in nine colors. Each drawer has one metal handle. The model number is printed on a label on the back of the chest. The chests measure 27½-inches high by 31¼-inches wide and 15½-inches deep and each weighs about 56 pounds. The model numbers and colors include:
3-drawer chests with the model numbers listed above that end in the letter A, B, C, D or E are also included in this recall.
Some models of the 3-drawer chests listed above were also sold as part of a three-piece bedroom set that also included a bed and nightstand. Only the 3-drawer chests in the bedroom sets are included in this recall.
Consumers should immediately stop using any recalled chest that is not properly anchored to the wall, and place it in an area that children cannot access. Consumers should contact South Shore to select one of the following recall options:
• Consumers can receive a full refund with free pick-up of the Chest;
• Consumers can also remove the drawer slides from one side of the Chest and receive packaging along with a prepaid shipping label from the company to mail in the drawer slides for a full refund; or
• Consumers can receive a free tip-over restraint kit and can request a one-time free in-home installation of the kit
South Shore has received two reports of tip-over incidents involving the recalled chests of drawers. One report stated that a child received bruises on his leg and scratches. Another incident reported a fatality involving a two year-old and an unanchored, empty 3-drawer chest.
South Shore Industries Ltd., of Canada
Note: Individual Commissioners may have statements related to this topic. Please visit www.cpsc.gov/commissioners to search for statements related to this or other topics.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risk of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product-related incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products has contributed to a decline in the rate of injuries associated with consumer products over the past 50 years.
Federal law prohibits any person from selling products subject to a Commission ordered recall or a voluntary recall undertaken in consultation with the CPSC.
- Visit CPSC.gov.
- Sign up to receive our e-mail alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook, Instagram @USCPSC and Twitter @USCPSC.
- Report a dangerous product or product-related injury on www.SaferProducts.gov.
- Call CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772 (TTY 301-595-7054).
- Contact a media specialist.