Some families have three or more generations living together under one roof. Economics, shared responsibilities and support caring for family members make this an inviting option. Several generations living in a home increases the need for fire safe practices. Keep safety in mind for your family. Download our multigenerational fire safety toolkit.
Fire Safety Tips
- View Fire Safety Guides
- Install a working smoke alarm on every level of your home, outside. sleeping areas and inside bedrooms
- Replace smoke alarm batteries once every year.
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking. Stand by your pan!
- Know how to escape if there is a fire in your home. Have a plan and practice it with your family.
- Replace smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old. They don’t last forever.
Off-Campus Fire Safety
Most (94 percent) fatal campus fires took place in off-campus housing, according to incidents examined by USFA between 2000 and 2015. The best advice to keep your college student safe is this: See it before you sign it.