|May 6, 2004
The following product safety recall was conducted voluntarily by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.
Name of Product: Tuftex Wall-to-Wall Carpet
Units: 2,300 square yards of carpet (approximately 125 pieces of carpet as sold)
Manufacturer/Importer: Shaw Industries Inc., of Dalton, Georgia
Hazard: Due to a manufacturing error that over-treated the carpet with a "soil-resist" application, the carpet could readily ignite, presenting a serious risk of burn injuries. The recalled carpet violates the federal Flammable Fabrics Act.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
Description: The recalled wall-to-wall carpet was manufactured in two different styles called "Moon Shadow" and "Chic to Chic," both of which are 100% nylon fluffy shag. These two manufacturing styles were labeled for various carpet dealers and were sold under the following style names and colors:
- Moon Shadow style carpet (style # Z6136) sold under color name "Snowflake"
- Chic to Chic style carpet (style # Z6079) sold under the color names "Tanstone," "Petticoat" and "Black Satin," and also sold under the following vendor-specific style and color names:
- Barbary Coast style carpet (style # 6079J) sold under the color names "Sandstone," "Cameo Charm," "Calico" and "Luminous"
- Alluring Appeal style carpet (style # 079AS) sold under the color names "French Vanilla" and "Mountain Stone"
- Pizzazz style carpet (style # 6079U) sold under the color name "Muslin"
- High Step Berber style carpet (style # 26082) sold under the color name "Petticoat"
- High Profile style carpet (style # ZG075) sold under the color names "Cookie Dough" and "Candle Glow"
- Cadillac II style carpet (style # 7N915) sold under the color names "Petticoat," "Beige Whisper" and "Candle Glow"
- Amazing Berber style carpet (style # ZC079) sold under the color names "Cookie Dough," "Petticoat," "Black Satin" and "Moonstone"
- Rosenberry Berber style carpet (style # 079CL) sold under the color name "Beige Whisper"
- Chic to Chcun style carpet (style # 4ZA59) sold under the color name "Black Satin"
Sold at: Carpet retailers nationwide from January 15, 2004 through February 15, 2004 for $50 to $75 per square yard.
Manufactured In: U.S.A.
Remedy: Shaw Industries corrected the manufacturing error and will replace the recalled carpet with the same or comparable carpet.
Consumer Contact: Contact Shaw Industries from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET at (800) 441-7429 for instructions on how to have the carpet replaced free. Consumers also can visit the firm's Web site: www.shawfloors.com.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products has contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
For lifesaving information:
Please use the below phone number for all media requests.
Phone: (301) 504-7908
Spanish: (301) 504-7800