Welcome! This information center is dedicated to helping resellers keep unsafe products out of the hands of consumers. Consumers who regularly buy used products may also find this information helpful in avoiding products that could harm them or their family. Use the Reseller's Guide to screen for hazardous and other products that violate the law. CPSC's laws and regulations apply to anyone who sells or distributes consumer products. This includes thrift stores, consignment stores, charities and people holding yard sales and flea markets..
- Download the Reseller's Guide to Selling Safer Products
- View Reseller and Thrift Store Frequently Asked Questions
- Stopping the Online Sale of Recalled Products
Did You Know?
CPSC’s laws and regulations apply to anyone who sells or distributes consumer products. This includes thrift stores, consignment stores, charities, and individuals holding yard sales and flea markets. Used products have caused injuries and deaths and have been the subject of numerous recalls.
Resellers should closely examine their products in inventory prior to resale to make sure that their products are safe and compliant with federal laws.
When in doubt, throw it out! Products used in the nursery, especially cribs and bassinets, have caused deaths and have been the subject of numerous recalls of millions of units. Do not sell any broken or wobbly nursery furniture, or durable infant product that is missing parts, even if it has not been recalled. A baby's life could depend on it. The risk is too high.
We urge you to take a few extra steps when you sell your used products and to follow the advice in our Reseller's Guide to ensure that you are only selling safe products.
Where can I find additional information?
For more information, please contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Office of Compliance (for specific enforcement inquires): e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone: (800) 638-2772.
- Small Business Ombudsman (for general assistance understanding and complying with CPSC regulations): e-mail: Please use our Contact Form, which is the best way to get a fast response; telephone: (888) 531-9070.
CPSC Safety Alerts and Neighborhood Safety Network posters are not available to order. If you would like to use these safety publications, they are free to download and print.