Dangers with Button Batteries:
- Button cell or coin batteries are associated with thousands emergency department visits every year.
- The consequences of a child swallowing a battery can be immediate, devastating and deadly.
- A button cell battery can burn through a child’s throat or esophagus in as little as two hours if swallowed.
Look for screw closures:
- Keep remotes, electronics and products with accessible button cell or coin batteries away from children if the battery compartments do not have a screw closure to secure them.
- If the battery compartment holds button cell or coin batteries and is damaged, replace as soon as possible, repair or dispose of the product; children have been injured by swallowing loose button and coin cell batteries.
- Toys with button cell or coin batteries are required to have a secure closure requiring a screwdriver, coin or tool to open. Check the toys in your home to make sure battery compartments are secured.
- Do not allow children to play with or be in contact with button cell or coin batteries.
Immediately secure loose button cell or coin batteries:
- As soon as a discharged cell is removed from a product, place non-conductive tape (e.g., electrical tape) over the battery’s terminals or around the entire battery and discard at a battery-collection center.
Avoid swallowing button cell or coin batteries:
- Never put button cell or coin batteries in the mouth for any reason. Button cell and coin batteries are easy to swallow accidentally.
- Adults have swallowed button batteries mistaken for pills or tablets. Visually confirm that you are swallowing medications before taking them.
- If a button cell or coin battery is swallowed, immediately seek medical attention.
Safety Education Resources
CPSC Warns Consumers to Immediately Stop Using GLBSUNION and CUZMAK Digital Display Carbon Monoxide Detectors Due to Failure to Alert Consumers to Deadly Carbon Monoxide; Sold on Amazon.com
Nearly Half of Incidents with Kids and Corded Window Coverings Resulted in Death – #GoCordless to Save Lives