The links contained on this page are to be used as a tool to help easily access an overview of mattress flammability information.
Third Party Testing
Third Party Testing for Certain Children’s Products; Mattresses, Mattress Pads, and/or Mattress Sets: Requirements for Accreditation of Third Party Conformity Assessment Bodies, Docket No. CPSC-2010-0085, August 18, 2010 - Comments due by September 17, 2010 [Text] [PDF]
Standard for the Flammability of Mattresses and Mattress Pads - 16 CFR 1632
- Regulation 1632
- Laboratory Test Manual for 16 CFR Part 1632: Standard for the Flammability of Mattresses and Mattress Pads, updated December 2014 (pdf)
- Regulatory Summary for Mattresses (pdf)
- Interim Enforcement Policy (pdf)
New Standard: Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets - 16 CFR 1633
- Presentation: CPSC and the Mattress Industry - The Latest from the CPSC
- Ballot Vote: Notice of Availability - Regulatory Flexibility Act Section 610 Review of the Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets, November 9, 2016 (pdf)
- Regulation 1633 (pdf)
- Final Rule; Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets; Correction, February 6, 2008 [Text][PDF]
- Interim Enforcement Policy (pdf)
- Laboratory Test Manual for 16 CFR Part 1633: Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets, January 2011 (pdf)
- List of Testing Laboratories (Mattress Open-Flame Testing), August 2009 (pdf)
- Office of Compliance and Field Operations’ Enforcement Guidance Concerning CPSC Mattress Set Rule for Mattress Sets that are Medical Devices Regulated by the Food and Drug Administration
- Presentation on Retailer Responsibilities and the Standard for the Flammability (Open-Flame) of Mattress Sets; July 17, 2007, Bethesda, MD (pdf)
CPSC’s free publication, "Sleep Safer: A Fire Resistant Mattress Can Save Your Life" (CPSC-560), offers consumers lifesaving information on the new federal flammability standard for mattresses and fire safety tips. It is available in English and/or Spanish. Businesses can place their orders for this publication (minimum order 25) by contacting CPSC's Hotline at email@example.com or (800) 638-2772.
- Presentation given to International Sleep Products Association (ISPA) on Mattress Standards, February 22, 2007, Chicago, IL (pdf)
- Presentation given to International Sleep Products Association (ISPA) on Mattress Set Flammability, February 28, 2006, San Antonio, TX (pdf)
- Presentations given at CPSC Staff Seminars on Mattress Standard held March 28, 2007, CPSC Headquarters, Bethesda, MD and April 12, 2007, San Diego, CA
- Test and Recordkeeping Forms
- Questions and Answers: Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets (pdf)
- Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPR) (pdf)
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPR)
Flammable Fabrics Act - 15 U.S.C. 1191-1204
- FFA (pdf)
Where can I get additional information?
For more information on the requirements for mattresses, contact the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission:
- Office of Compliance (for specific enforcement inquires): e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; telephone: (800) 638-2772
- Small Business Ombudsman (for general assistance understanding and complying with CPSC regulations): e-mail: Please use our Contact Form, which is the best way to get a fast response; telephone: (888) 531-9070.
This communication has been prepared for general informational purposes only. This summary document does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice nor does it replace or supersede a manufacturer’s obligations to comply with all applicable laws, regulations, standards, or bans enforced by CPSC. This communication has not been reviewed or approved by the Commission, and does not necessarily represent their views. Any views expressed in this communication may be changed or superseded by the Commission.