NOVEMBER 07, 2006
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff is participating in voluntary standards activities related to pools, spas and hot tubs. Staff is participating in ASTM F15.49 Pool Safety Standards Subcommittee activities to develop requirements and guidelines to address pool safety issues.
Approximately 280 children under 5 years old drown in pools each year nationwide, and an additional 2200 are treated in hospital emergency rooms for submersion incidents. Most of the incidents involve residential pools. Additionally, CPSC staff is aware of incidents involving entrapment associated with the pool and spa circulation systems that have led to injuries and death.
CPSC staff continues to work with standards and code development organizations to create new and revise existing standards related to pool safety. The CPSC staff is developing a comprehensive guideline to provide consumers, legislators, and code developers with information on the latest product standards and technology regarding swimming pool and spa safety. The guideline outlines the use of various safety devices and establishes their proper use to reduce the likelihood of a drowning incident. Staff plans to complete the guideline in 2007.
CPSC Staff Reports, Memoranda and Contracts:
- Discrimination of Children from Adults in Safety Systems (pdf)
- Safety Barrier Guidelines for Home Pools (pdf)
- Consumer Product Safety Review Summer 2004 (pdf)
- CPSC Staff Comments on Revision of APSP-16 2011 (pdf)
- CPSC General Counsel letter to the Florida Department of Health, May 6, 2008 (pdf)
- Letter to Gravity Task Group on pool drains: Staff Participation (pdf)
Voluntary Standards Organizations:
For further information concerning specific standards, please contact the relevant standards organization:
- ASTM International - Katharine Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org or ASTM International at http://www.astm.org
- Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (APSP) - http://www.theapsp.org
- International Aquatic Foundation (IAF) - http://www.iafH2O.org
- Underwriters Laboratories Inc. - Deborah Prince at email@example.com
- For additional information or to comment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join a voluntary standards Email Subscription List