Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs) have become very popular in the past few years. Two and four-seater side-by-sides have brought a whole new level of fun to off-road motorsports.
Some designs have proven to be less safe than others. Roll-over accidents are killing and injuring people at an increasing rate. Since 2009, CPSC has been working with manufacturers to improve safety.
Enjoy your ROV safely and follow common sense rules of the trail. Make safety a part of your plan for every ride and help reduce ROV-related deaths and injuries where you live.
- Do not drive ROVs on paved roads.
- Everyone riding in an ROV should wear a helmet.
- Just like in the commercials, everyone should wear protective gear such as eye protection, boots, gloves, long pants and long-sleeved shirt.
- Always fasten seat belts and keep all parts of your body inside the vehicle.
- Never have more passengers than there are seat belts and never carry passengers in cargo beds.
- Never transport passengers who cannot place both feet on the floorboard with their backs against the seat.
- This codebook can be used to better understand the reported data.
ROV Related Deaths
ROV Injury Statistics: This table illustrates reported deaths from 2003 through 2012.
View ROV Death & Injury Statistics:
✪ Reported Deaths or Injuries Associated with Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs)
✪ NEISS Injury Estimates for Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs)
✪ ROV-related incidents: January 1, 2012 through April 5, 2013
RECALL | OCTOBER 16, 2014 American Honda Recalls Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles Due to Fire Hazard (Recall Alert)
RECALL | SEPTEMBER 25, 2014 Bad Boy Buggies Recalls Recreational Off-Road Vehicles Due to Crash Hazard
RECALL | SEPTEMBER 11, 2014 Arctic Cat Recalls Side by Sides Due to Fire Hazard (Recall Alert)
RECALL | FEBRUARY 25, 2014 Polaris Recalls Ranger Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles Due to Crash Hazard (Recall Alert)
RECALL | JUNE 19, 2013 Polaris Recalls Ranger Off-Highway Vehicles Due to Burn Hazard (Recall Alert)
RECALL | JANUARY 29, 2013 BRP Recalls Can-Am Side-By-Side Vehicles Due to Fire Hazard
RECALL | JANUARY 10, 2013 BRP Recalls Can-Am Side-By-Side Vehicles Due to Loss of Steering Control Hazard
RECALL | JANUARY 09, 2013 Polaris Recalls Ranger Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles Due to Loss of Control and Crash Hazard
CPSC Reports on ROVs
NOVEMBER 06, 2013
Repeatability Testing of ROVs
AUGUST 07, 2013
Results from Proposed ROHVA and OPEI Dynamic Maneuvers
AUGUST 07, 2013
Circle Testing of Two ROVs on Dirt Surface
CPSC Safety Alerts and Neighborhood Safety Network posters are not available to order. If you would like to use these safety publications, they are free to download and print.