CPSC administers and enforces several federal laws. These laws authorize the agency to protect the public against unreasonable risks of injuries and deaths associated with consumer products.
- Consumer Product Safety Act (CPSA)
- Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)
- Public Law 112-28: Updates to CPSIA
- Children's Gasoline Burn Prevention Act (CGCPA)
- Federal Hazardous Substances Act (FHSA)
- Child Safety Protection Act (CSPA)
- Labeling of Hazardous Art Materials Act (LHAMA)
- Flammable Fabrics Act (FFA)
- Poison Prevention Packaging Act (PPPA)
- Refrigerator Safety Act (RSA)
- Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act (VGB Act)
Regulations, Mandatory Standards & Bans
CPSC publishes regulations to implement the laws it administers and enforces. These regulations specify the requirements that apply to individuals, businesses, and others.
Your comments are very important in helping the Commission to understand how the proposed regulation may affect you and others if the regulation is adopted by the Commission. We encourage you to get involved and participate.
Even if there is no mandatory standard for a particular product, there may be voluntary standards or certification information that apply to the product type. The agency staff participates in the development of voluntary standards.