FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 4, 1990
Release # 90-104
WASHINGTON, DC -- General Toys of Los Angeles, CA is voluntarily recalling several plastic wind-up toys: the Happy Flapping Car, Happy Tricycle Police & Thief, Cycling Bear, Naughty Bear, and the Ice Cream Van. These toys were sold nationwide prior to March 1990. The toys may pose a fatal choking hazard to young children because of small parts and a puncture wound hazard due to sharp points. This recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- The Happy Flapping Car: Items #8668 and #8228 consist of a colorfully painted plastic car with a large comical cat or bear figure riding on it. Both are wearing a colored shirt and tie and a blue or white cap. The hood and trunk lids and side doors of the car open and close. The headlights are made to look like eyes, and a mouth with either white teeth and red lips or a smile with painted cheeks and a red nose pasted to the body under the front hood. The car is equipped with a bell whose striking device is a spring with a small ball on the end which comes out of the trunk area.
- The Happy Tricycle Police & Thief: Item #636 consists of a painted three-wheeled motorcycle with a metal bell whose striking device is a spring with a small ball on the end which comes out of the back. Either a police officer figure or thief figure are riding the cycle. The figures have heads that resemble a dog- like animal. The police figure has a painted-on blue uniform with white gloves and the thief figure has a painted-on black outfit with black gloves. Both figures are carrying guns raised in the air with the right hand.
- Cycling Bear: Item #6968 consists of a red tricycle with black tires and orange hub caps. A large blue bear sitting on the tricycle has a white snout, black eyes and nose and is wearing pink trunks. Inside a yellow basket mounted on the rear of the tricycle is a small blue bear who moves up and down as the vehicle moves forward. The tricycle is equipped with a metal bell whose striking device is a spring with a small ball on the end located in the rear of the vehicle.
- Naughty Bear: Item #6976 consists of a red dinosaur-like figure with stick-on eyes, yellow arms, nose, legs and nob on the head. This figure is being ridden by a two-tone blue bear figure with a white snout, black eyes and black nose. The toy is equipped with a metal bell located in the rear above the tail. Embossed on the bottom of this toy is "PAT.NO.1039684 MADE IN CHINA".
- Ice Cream Van: Item #6973 consists of a pink-colored vehicle with a bear's head coming out of the top, red boots sticking out of the sides, a swirl cone on the hood, and a plastic hamburger on a bun riding on the back of the vehicle. Embossed on the bottom of this toy is "PAT.NO.1031288 MADE IN CHINA".
Neither the CPSC nor the company is aware of any injuries involving these toys. This voluntary recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of injury.
Consumers are urged to take these toys away from young children immediately and return them to the store where purchased for a refund, or mail them to General Toys, 516 E. 4th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90013 for a refund plus postage. For more information about this recall consumers may call General Toys at (213) 687-4929.
La Comisión de Seguridad de Productos del Consumidor de EE.UU. (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, CPSC) se encarga de proteger al público contra riesgos irrazonables de lesión o muerte asociados con el uso de miles de tipos de productos del consumidor. Muertes, lesiones y daños a la propiedad debido a incidentes con productos del consumidor le cuestan al país más de $1 billón de dólares al año. La labor de la CPSC ha contribuido a una disminución en el índice de muertes y lesiones vinculadas a los productos del consumidor en los últimos 40 años.
Para más información:
- Visite SeguridadConsumidor.gov.
- Reciba alertas electrónicas.
- Síganos en Twitter @SeguridadConsum, @USCPSC y en Facebook e Instagram @USCPSC.
- Reporte productos peligrosos o lesiones por productos en www.SaferProducts.gov.
- Llame a la línea de información al 800-638-2772 (teletipo 301-595-7054).
- Contacto para los medios de comunicación.
Por favor comuníquese con la CPSC si desea información al:
Teléfono: (301) 504-7908
En español: (301) 504-7800