DECEMBER 03, 2007
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) staff is supporting voluntary standards activities to address hazards associated with non-metallic fuel tanks/components on outdoor equipment. CPSC staff is participating in activities to develop a new American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standard, ANSI B71.10, Ground Supported Outdoor Power Equipment Gasoline Fuel Systems Performance Specifications and Test Procedures. The purpose of this standard is to address failures of fuel components that can result in gasoline leaks. This standard is sponsored by an Outdoor Power Equipment Institute (OPEI) Technical Committee.
The CPSC staff received several consumer complaints and manufacturer reports involving fuel leaks associated with fuel lines and fuel tanks. For the period January 2000 through December 2006, over one million handheld outdoor powered equipment units (e.g., backpack blowers, hedge trimmers, and chain saws) and one million non-handheld outdoor powered equipment units, (e.g., walk-behind lawn mowers, generators, and garden tractors) were recalled for fuel leaks that can result in a potential risk of fire and subsequent burn injury.
- NFIRS Data on Gasoline-Fueled Lawn Mowing Equipment, 2002, December 7, 2005 (PDF)
- Hazard Screening Report: Yard and Garden Equipment, May 2003 (PDF)
Voluntary Standard and Code Activities:
- Correspondence to ANSI B71.10 Technical Committee - November 8, 2006. CPSC staff comments regarding proposed requirements for the first draft of ANSI B71.10 (PDF)
- Correspondence to ANSI B71.10 Technical Committee - June 14, 2007. CPSC staff comments regarding proposed requirements for the second draft of ANSI B71.10 (PDF)
- Staff letter comments ANSI standard for small off-road ground supported gas fuel systems, August 24, 2012 (PDF)
- Letter to Kathy Woods of OPEI regarding CPSC staff comments on the revisions for the 2013 edition of the ANSI/OPEI B71.10 Standard, March 19, 2013 (PDF)
- Study of Fuel Leaks Associated with Outdoor Ground-Supported Gasoline-Powered Equipment, September, 2015 (PDF)
- CPSC Staff Letter to Greg Knott of OPEI, December 3, 2015 (PDF)
Contact Outdoor Power Equipment Institute
- For further information concerning ANSI B71.10, please contact Greg Knott at GKnott@opei.org
- For additional information or to comment, please contact CPSC’s Office of the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join a voluntary standards Email Subscription List