Final Rule: Jan. 12, 2007
Effective Date: May 14, 2007
This rule requires manufacturers to label portable generators with performance and technical data related to performance and safety. The required warning label informs purchasers that:
- "Using a generator indoors CAN KILL YOU IN MINUTES;"
- "Generator exhaust contains carbon monoxide. This is a poison you cannot see or smell;"
- "NEVER use inside a home or garage, EVEN IF doors and windows are open;"
- "Only use OUTSIDE and far away from windows, doors, and vents."
- The warning label also includes pictograms.
View the Final Rule | View a Correction to the Final Rule
Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking
Commission Briefing Package: Staff Review of Portable Generator Safety
Portable Generator Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Comments
Portable Generator Labeling Proposed Rule Comments
Commission Briefing Package on the Proposed Final Rule