Who We Are
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is an independent federal regulatory agency that was created in 1972 by Congress in the Consumer Product Safety Act. In that law, Congress directed the Commission to "protect the public against unreasonable risks of injuries and deaths associated with consumer products."
We have jurisdiction over more than 15,000 types of consumer products, from coffee makers to toys to lawn mowers. Some types of products, however, are covered by other federal agencies. For example, cars, trucks and motorcycles are covered by the Department of Transportation; foods, drugs and cosmetics are covered by the Food and Drug Administration; and alcohol, tobacco and firearms are within the jurisdiction of the Department of the Treasury.
What We Do
CPSC works to reduce the risk of injuries and deaths from consumer products by:
- developing voluntary standards with industry
- issuing and enforcing mandatory standards; banning consumer products if no standard would adequately protect the public
- obtaining the recall of products and arranging for their repair, replacement or a refund
- conducting research on potential product hazards
- informing and educating consumers through the media, state and local governments, private organizations, and by responding to consumer inquiries.
How We Can Help
If you've had a safety problem with a consumer product, here's how to get in touch with us:
- To report an unsafe consumer product to CPSC online, visit www.SaferProducts.gov, or call CPSC’s toll-free Hotline at (800) 638-2772, or (301) 595-7054 for the hearing and speech impaired.
- See a list of free CPSC safety guides. Print out safety guides on your printer. Many can be ordered. To order copies of safety guides, send an email to email@example.com or call CPSC’s Hotline at (800) 638-2772.
- Visit CPSC’s Information Centers for product safety information.
- For questions related to consumer product safety, email CPSC at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 4330 East West Highway, Bethesda, MD 20814.
Who We Are, What We Do, How We Can Help
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
4330 East West Highway
Bethesda, MD 20814
English/Spanish: (800) 638-2772
Hearing/Speech Impaired: (301) 595-7054
Pub. 103 052012