Hearing Room 420, Bethesda Towers, 4330 East West Highway, Bethesda, Maryland
A live webcast of the Meeting can be viewed at www.cpsc.gov/webcast
*The Commission unanimously determined by recorded vote that Agency business requires call the meeting without seven calendar days advance public notice.
• The Regulatory Flexibility Act (“RFA”), (Pub. L. No. 96-354, 94 Stat. 1164 (September 19, 1980), requires each federal agency in April and October of each year to publish in the Federal Register an agenda identifying rules that the agency expects to consider in the next twelve months that are likely to have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities (5 U.S.C. 602(a)).
• The RFA specifically provides that publication of the agenda does not preclude an agency from considering or acting on any matter not included in the agenda, and that an agenda is not required to consider or act on any matter that is included in the agenda (5 U.S.C. 602(d)). The Commission may consider or act on any matter earlier or later than the estimated date provided on the agenda.
In addition, Executive Order 12866 requires each agency to publish, twice each year, a regulatory agenda of regulations under development or review during the next year; this agenda may be combined with the agenda published in accordance with the RFA. Although CPSC, as an independent regulatory agency, is not required to comply with Executive Orders, the agency follows Executive Order 12866 with respect to the publication of its regulatory agenda.
• The agenda we are discussing today reflects the CPSC’s current intent to work on a number of rulemakings in the next year, the precise dates for each rulemaking at this point are uncertain.
• Actions that do not have an estimated date are placed in the long term category; the Commission may nevertheless act on items in that category within the next twelve months. The agenda includes new entries, entries carried over from previous publications, and rulemaking actions that have been completed (or withdrawn) since publication of the last agenda.
• We will invite public comment on the final agenda and on the individual agenda entries.